I’m obsessed! I can’t stop making and eating spinach basil pesto!
It is so easy to make..why not make it tonight?
Do you know what the beauty of pesto is? Besides all the deliciously healthy ingredients? You can swap any number of ingredients and still have a delicious tasting pesto. Now, we all know the traditional pesto is made with mostly basil, but I wanted to add some vitamin packed greens to my family’s dinner with spinach. So I swapped out about 80% of the basil for spinach. You can even use 100% spinach if you choose. I don’t usually have pine nuts in the house so I prefer to use sliced almonds.
I leave my pesto a little on the chunky side. I like the texture, but if you prefer a smooth consistency, pluse away!
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup silvered raw almonds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 shakes of Tabasco
- Juice and zest from ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup to ½ cup olive oil
- In a food processor or blender, add the spinach, basil, garlic, almonds, salt, pepper, Tabasco, juice and zest from lemon, and 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Pulse mixture until almost smooth.
- Add parmesan cheese.
- Slowly drizzle more olive oil and pulse until you get the consistency desired.
- **Store in a air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- **Add a small about of olive oil to the top of your container of spinach basil pesto when storing it in the refrigerator, to keep it from browning.
My favorite ways to eat pesto? There are so many, but to name a few…
- over pasta
- smeared on toast
- to replace mayo on sandwiches
- as a salad dressing
- as the sauce on a pizza
- baked over chicken
- on burgers
- baked on fish
- spread on a grilled cheese
- sautéed with veggies
- or….out of the jar with a spoon!
Until Next Time…