Is it cold where you are?
It’s freezing here… Well, not really, but for Southern California the mid 40 degrees is freezing!
So to get myself and those I love out of this freezing funk I’ve decided to make some “summer inspired” recipes to warm us up a tad (atleast in our minds).
Starting with Pico De Gallo!
Pico De Gallo just screams summer.
Fresh ingredients, simple to make and tastes delicious. I know you can always buy that store made stuff in the refrigerator section of your grocery store, but it is just so simple to make. It would be a shame to buy the stuff that you don’t know exactly how long it has been sitting there or exactly what’s in it!
You can serve it on just about anything, grilled chicken or steak, or any type of eggs in the morning. Of course, there is always the standard, burritos, enchiladas, and taquitos. It even taste great added to homemade refried beans. And don’t forget it’s a delicious fresh salsa with chips!
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded and cut into a ¼ inch dice
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 to 1½ jalapeno, (as needed) finely diced, with seeds and membranes removed for a milder pico de gallo
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- zest from 1 lime
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl combine diced tomatoes, red onions, jalapeno, cilantro, lime zest and lime juice.
- Toss to combine flavors.
- Taste and season with kosher salt as needed.
- Add more jalapeno if you like a spicer pico de gallo.
- Refrigerate until use.
A little Pico De Gallo, some chips and a margarita, or two and I can feel summer just around the corner!
Until Next Time…