I’ve been invited to a potluck this week-end.
Do you like potlucks?
I have friends who love potlucks and then I have friends who despise potlucks. They won’t go near them with a 10 foot poll. Me?…I’m kinda on the fence. I don’t really have a extreme feeling either way about them. I can tell you I absolutely love, love, love dessert potlucks! But then again, who doesn’t?
Anyways, back to the potluck ideas for this weekend…
When I asked the hostess what I should bring she replied “a side”! …a side of what? Does that mean a side of green beans? or does it mean a side of beef? I know, I know, it doesn’t mean a side of beef. But her answer to my question “a side” is just so very vague.
When I’m deciding what to make I’m also thinking of the other invited guests. Will they like what I bring? I try to make something that is a bit unusual, not the ordinary potluck dish.
So I put my thinking cap on and came up with what I was going to bring…
My Mango Salsa recipe
It’s the perfect side. It can be eaten as a dip for chips or it can be a topping for hot dogs, hamburgers, steak or chicken. Or…it can be eaten just as a “side” salad. It has a fresh sweet and spicy tropical flavor.
- 1 large ripe but firm mango, peeled and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- ½ a red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced
- ½ cup diced Jicama
- 1 handful cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients together, gently toss.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until use.
- Can be made up to 6 hours ahead.