What do you dip in your Ranch Dressing?
For me, it all started back in high school. My friends and I would go to the local pizza parlor and get ranch dressing to dip our pizzas in. Then, when I was in my “I only eat salad” phase I would use those Hidden Valley packages to make “homemade” ranch dressing.
Those packages tasted so good, but if you look at the ingredients, they are not so good. So for a long time I didn’t eat ranch dressing.
I love to eat this ranch dressing with fresh vegetables, or wings, or pizza, and of course, salads! Everyone who has ever tasted this homemade buttermilk ranch dressing has always asked me for the recipe as soon as they have their very first bite.
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Notes:
- Make sure you mince the garlic as finely as possible or use a zester if you have one.
- This dressing gets better tasting as it sits in the fridge for a day or so.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in a jar with a tightly closed lid.
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make it. Pour 1 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar into a 1-cup liquid measuring cup. Fill up the cup to the 1/2 cup mark with milk (whole milk, preferably). Let sit for 15 minutes.
- To make Ranch Dip (instead of dressing) use 1/4 cup of buttermilk instead of 1/2 cup
Cooking Tip: I use this whisk and these jars to hold my salad dressings.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup buttermilk, plus extra for desired consistency
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1½ teaspoon fresh mined parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley)
- 1 teaspoon fresh mined fresh dill or (3/4 teaspoon dried dill)
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Chop garlic as fine as possible.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all ingredients until they are well combined and the mixture is smooth.
- If your dressing is too thick. Use a tablespoon at a time of the buttermilk to thin out the dressing to your desired consistency.
- Store Ranch Dressing in a jar with a tightly closed lid.
- Keep in the refrigerator.
Until Next Time…