April is a month of birthday’s for very special ladies in my life. My mom and my daughters, actually, my daughters were born on my mothers birthday.
This year marked a “Big” one for my mom, so I decided to throw a birthday luncheon with all of my mom’s closest friends.
I knew I wanted to make all of her favorites foods starting with her favorite pasta, creamy tomato farfalle pasta. It’s a perfect pasta for a crowd, the recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- 1 lb box of Farfalle (bow tie) Pasta
- 2 Tablespoons salt for pasta water
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup spinach (packed), chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 dashes of tabasco
- ¼ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus some for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot bring water to a rolling boil, add salt. Cook pasta 3 minutes less than instructions. drain and set aside (Do not rinse pasta).
- In a large deep skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add flour, stirring constantly for a few minutes to cook out the flour taste.
- While whisking, pour in the milk and half & half. Continue whisking until all lumps are gone.
- Once mixture begins to lightly simmer add tomatoes, spinach, and basil.
- Stir in onion powder, oregano, and tabasco.
- Cook until spinach has wilted and sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta