Something that people don’t really know about me is that I don’t like mayonnaise! I actually detest it! But surprisingly enough, I LOVE it in this confetti macaroni salad!
My dislike of mayonnaise was so bad as a child that my mom would recreate recipes for me if the recipe needed mayo just to make sure that I would eat. Like macaroni salad, she would make me a separate dish of pasta salad. I’m so grateful to my Mom, because I know most of my friends growing up had to just eat what their parents gave them. If they didn’t like it, they didn’t eat.
As I’ve gotten older, my detest for mayonnaise is just a dislike, I still don’t like it as a spread.
A few years back I was making this confetti macaroni salad for a summer BBQ and I decided to use half mayo and half plain yogurt in this recipe and it was delicious, so from that point on it has become my go-to confetti macaroni salad.
- 16oz ditalini pasta
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt (for pasta water)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 stalkes celery, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeds and veins removed. Finely diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, small chunks
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. As soon as the water starts to boil prior to adding the pasta add salt. Once pasta is cooked drained and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, mustard, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- Once pasta is completely drained and completely cooled pour pasta into a large bowl. Slowly pour the dressing mixture over pasta to help separate the pasta. Add as much of the dressing as you see fit.
- Now add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
As you can see I don’t like to over dress my macaroni salad.
This confetti macaroni salad would taste delicious with these Lemon Honey Chicken Drumsticks for the perfect summer meal.