Whenever Handsome and I are invited to a friend’s home for dinner I always offer to bring the dessert. Recently, we were invited to high school buddy of my Handsome’s. When the four of us are together I know there will be tons of laughs, we always have a great time with them and look forward to getting together.
This was the first time I had been over to their home. Wow! AD (the wife) is such a talented decorator, I had no idea. Her home is incredible and she did it all herself. I’m hoping I can get her to agree for me to do a photo shoot of her home (if she agrees, I will be putting the photo’s on my Its All About The Pretty Blog home tour section) just so you all can see it! HGTV needs to give her a show! Really!!!
Back to dessert… I decided to make an apple cinnamon streusel cake to bring over to their home. It is a coffee cake recipe of my mom’s that I decided to add apples to. It turned out great. In fact, D (the husband) had seconds before the rest of us were half way through our first piece. It was so yummy I made another one the very next day so my family could enjoy it. Ever since, my family has been asking me to make it again.
There are a lot of steps, but the cake is really easy to make.
Make the streusel first, then prepare the springform pan. Add the layers of batter, apples and struesel, bake and you have a delicious cake to serve.
- FOR CINNAMON STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- FOR APPLE FILLING
- 1 medium size crisp apple, cored peeled and chopped in small bite size pieces
- FOR THE CAKE
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a 8-inch springform pan, grease with butter and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- To Prepare Streusel Topping -
- In a medium bowl add the flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Add the melted butter and the vanilla and stir until the dry ingredients are all coated with the butter and vanilla. Set aside.
- For The Cake -
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 egg at a time until each is completely incorporated into the butter mixture, then add the vanilla and the sour cream, and combine.
- In a medium bowl add, flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk until combined.
- Using heaping spoonfuls at a time, combine flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Spread ½ of the batter into the prepared springform pan.
- Place apple pieces in an even layer over the first layer of batter.
- Add 1 cup of streusel topping over the apples, then spread the remaining batter over the topping.
- Top the second layer with the remaining streusel topping.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cake is cooled sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.
Until Next Time…