Summertime & Watermelon!
Those two things just go together like Ren & Stimpy. If you are anything like me, you buy a countless number of watermelons each season at the farmers market. I just can’t get enough. This season the watermelons have been so sweet and have had such a beautiful color of red.
Lately, my family has gotten a bit board of my watermelon fondness. So, I’ve decided to put a little twist on my beloved summertime fruit and make a watermelon salad. It’s a perfect combination of salty and sweet, and the basil adds that perfect amount of freshness.
Do you want to know my secret for picking the perfect watermelon?
1. It must feel heavy for it’s size, yet sounds hollow. That means it’s super juicy
2. I like to pick one that is a dark green, the darker the better.
3. Pick one that has a large yellow area. This yellow area is developed while it is ripening on the ground. Ensures the watermelon has not been picked too early.
- 5 cups of cubed watermelon, well chilled
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup loosely paced fresh basil, cut in thin strips
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Gently toss the balsamic vinegar along with the feta, watermelon cubes, and basil in a large bowl.
- Serve immediately.
Until Next Time…
Do you love classic french toast, but hate going to a restaurant just to have your beloved breakfast food? After you make this french toast at home, you will not be ordering it in a restaurant ever again!
I have such wonderful memories of this Sunday morning breakfast food. My dad would make this french toast after Mass for our the family and anyone else who found out my dad was making breakfast!
Now, I have a certain family member who loves french toast as much as I did as a kid and would always bug me to take her out to breakfast…until I started making french toast just like my dad, at home using his recipe. Now, sometimes we even make it for dinner!
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg - optional
- 6 slices of Texas Toast (thick sliced bread)
- butter for frying
- fruit (optional)
- In a bowl whisk together the first 7 ingredients until well combined.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and melt 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Place one slice of bread at a time into the egg mixture and allow to soak for 10 seconds.
- Working with 2 slices at a time place the egg soaked bread on to the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat until all the french toast is made and serve while the french toast is still hot!
Until Next Time…
In honor of this sweet National Day, I’m sharing some of my favorite bloggers take on this delicious summertime treat! No matter how you make it, you can’t beat the flavors of marshmallow, chocolate and graham crackers, they are just meant to go together.
I know today I will be celebrating today with one…or two of these delicious, oozy gooey desserts! Which one will you be making?
1. S’mores Cupcakes by Life, Love, and Sugar
2. S’more’s Cookie Bars by Chocolate, Chocolate and More
3. S’Mores Nachos by The Creative Bite
4. No Bake S’mores Cheesecake by The Gracious Wife
5. S’mores Iced Coffee by A Night Owl
6. S’Mores Popcorn by Cravings of a Lunatic
7. S’Mores Lasagna by Beyond Frosting
8. S’Mores Cake On The Grill by So TIPical Me
9. S’Mores french Toast by RecipeTin Eats
If you give any of these delicious S’Mores recipes a try, tag me on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook with the #YummySMores and let me know what you think!
Until Next Time…
I have a favorite show… Odd Mom Out. I know the season finale was a few days ago, and I have yet to see it! That’s just how it goes in my home. Handsome and I are DVR watchers! Handsome likes it because there are no commercials, and I like it because Handsome and I cuddle on the couch together, enjoy a glass of wine (or two) and have a snack.
This is what Handsome has requested when we catch up on our favorite shows this weekend, spinach and mozzarella pinwheels. They are delicious and so very easy to make. I use this home made pizza dough recipe, but they can easily be made with a can of Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust.
Once the dough is rolled out, spread the Mozzarella cheese and spinach to cover the dough.
Roll the dough into a log and cut into 1″ rounds.
Bake and enjoy! They taste great with a glass of Rose.
- 1 lb. of pizza dough or 1 can Pillsbury refrigerated Classic Pizza Crust
- 1 large bunch of fresh spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 1½ cups mozzarella, shredded
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out pizza dough to a large rectangle.
- Wash spinach to remove all dirt and cut stems off.
- Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium/high heat.
- Once pan is hot, place garlic in pan and let cook for 2 minutes, now add cleaned spinach into the pan with the garlic and cook until the spinach is completely wilted.
- Drain spinach on a paper towel and remove excess liquid.
- Place ½ of the mozzarella onto the dough, now add the drained spinach, and finch with the rest of the mozzarella.
- Begin rolling the dough into a long log shape, once you have come to the end pinch the dough together and place seam side down.
- Slice the dough into 1" size segments and place in a greased baking pan.
- With remaining olive oil brush and the sides of the pinwheels.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.
Until next time…
Handsome and I have been invited to our friends 4th of July party. The view of the fireworks from their backyard is going to be spectacular and the Hosts are the best! The hostess has asked if I would bring over this. I also want to bring something for dessert, too. My thoughts went directly to chocolate dipped sugar cones to go along with her delicious homemade ice cream. It’s the perfect no-bake dessert, (it has been so hot and muggy lately) takes no time to make and looks so festive!
Tip~ Add a small amount of chocolate into the bottom of the inside of the sugar cone so the ice cream won’t melt through!
- I Pkg. Sugar Cones
- Dark coating chocolate (chocolate chips can be used)
- White coating chocolate (white chocolate chips can be used)
- Chopped peanuts
- Toffee bits
- Place a large piece of wax paper or silpat onto a baking sheet.
- Place toppings in separate small bowls.
- Place chocolate in a small glass bowl. Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Place glass bowl of chocolate over the simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the simmering water. Gently stir chocolate until it is melted and smooth.
- Place a dollop of chocolate into the inside bottom of each sugar cone.
- Holding the sugar cone by the pointy end, dip about an inch of the rim into the chocolate.
- Sprinkle rim with desired toppings.
- Place on wax paper to harden.
- Repeat with white chocolate.
- Allow chocolate to dry completely.
- Coated sugar cones can be placed in a storage bag in the freezer for up to 1 month.
A couple of weeks ago was national donut day and my Handsome surprised the family by bringing home two boxes (we have a buy one get one free card) of Krispy Kreme Donuts. When he first walked in to the house with those boxes of wonderfulness, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on one, two, ok, maybe…three, but, by the third one that tempting delightful fried dough ring dunked in warm sugar glaze wore off, for all of us. At first, I thought I should just throw them away, get them out of the house for this was now day 3 of having them sit on my counter not being eaten.
Instead, I decided to give them new life by making a delicious, melt in your mouth Krispy Kreme bread pudding. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
- 6 Krispy Kreme Donuts
- 1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut each donut into 6 pieces.
- Place donuts in to a buttered baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine milks, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
- Pour milk mixture over the Krispy Kreme donuts making sure the donuts are submerged.
- Let the donuts sit in the milk mixture for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the middle no longer giggles.
- Once cooled, sprinkle powdered sugar over the top.
This luscious bread pudding would be perfect to bring to any pot luck or the perfect sweet to be served at brunch.
Happy National Burger Day 2015!
Since it is National Burger Day I thought I would share with you some delicious burgers I’ve seen around the Blog-O-Sphere. One thing is for sure, I will be celebrating today with… you guessed it, surprise, surprise, a burger!
With summer just around the corner, it is time to spark up the grill and get ready to make your favorite stand-by burgers, but don’t forget to add some new ones into the mix.
I have compiled my top 5 favorites!
What is your favorite burger?
1. The Whiskey Burger by Mantitlement
2. Mexican Chorizo + Garlic Shrimp Burger by Lady and Pups
3. Ranch Burger by lil’ luna
4. Ultimate Beer Burger by Brooklyn Brew Shop
5. Queso Burger by The Recipe Critic
If you give any of these burgers a try, tag me on Instagram, Twitter, or FaceBook. With the #YummyBurgers And let me know what you think!
Happy National Burger Day 2015!